Any easy way to download and view youtube videos:
Using Firefox, add the DownloadHelper plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/downloads/latest/3006
Go to the youtube video you want to grab, and in the upper left of Firefox near the ‘Home’ icon you’ll see 3 rotating balls.Click on it and it’ll say video.flv or similar. If the video is also available in HD format, the link will show up for that one also – the hd videos are saved in mp4 format which is directly editable in iMovie.
Click on that filename and it’ll prompt for where to save the file.
If you wish to convert a FLV to another format (mov or mp4 for example) you can try out some of the free online converters:
VideoLan client is a great video player and supports the youtube FLV format as well as divx, xvid, wmv, mp4, and a slew of others..
- Mac: http://www.videolan.org/mirror-geo.php?file=vlc/0.9.8a/macosx/vlc-0.9.8a.dmg
- PC: http://www.videolan.org/mirror-geo.php?file=vlc/0.9.8a/win32/vlc-0.9.8a-win32.exe
My second preference for video playback would be a free addon for the Quicktime Player called Perian. http://www.perian.org/#download
Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional media:
- File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
- Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
- Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
- AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
- Subtitle support for SSA/ASS and SRT
I’ll list a third viewer for the mac too, but I haven’t used it before and it may interfere with adobe Flash player. It’s also a lot more limited on the number of video formats it will play. – http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/swfflvplayer.html